Old November 11th 03, 02:19 PM
Dan Truesdell

If you fly a plane with a yoke, I would recommend the same. I have CH
Products yoke (along with Jepp's FlightPro) and find it great for
procedural and scan practice.

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Snowbird wrote:

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then
returned to currency?

Not as long as yours, but months, yes, after surgery, and
then pretty much a year after the birth of my child. Basically
I was signed off for an instrument checkride 3x. Third time
was the charm but it was frustrating!

I dunno how much has changed really since 1999, unless you
live in the "DC Gulag" then your best bet is probably the
DC Pilots group for coping strategies. Call f***ing FSS
for a "standard briefing" and notams every time you fly in
case Bush has urgent national security issues like raising
money whilst cutting services in your home town.

In my case anyway, my knowledge of the procedures was still
pretty sharp but my flying just sucked. I had no scan left
each time. It was exactly analogous to taking up some physical
skill like TKD or judo after years off, where my mind remembered
I could break two boards with a kick over my head but my body
just couldn't do it.

What helped me? Drilling procedures including all the little
things one has to do and when (ident navaids, timer etc). The
more I drilled, the more brain cycles I had free for scanning.
Microsoft Flight Sim helped rebuild my scan, though if I were
better at using it would have helped me more. Simmer Gurl I
am not. Flying a lot with a mean instructor.

Did I mention drilling procedures and Microsoft Flight Sim?

Flight sim isprobably a great idea for scan and procedures development.
I've never used it before. Any recommendations as to what hardware to
use for joystick, etc.? Christmas is just around the corner after all
... :-)

I assume trying to use a keyboard and mouse, even if MS supports this,
would be insane.

Matt

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.