Old October 28th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Declared first emergency last week

In article
,
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

On Oct 27, 5:23 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
It's a good case to practice some 'dead stick' landings. AFAIK you
should be able to kill the bird anyway in the circuit and dead stick.
That's how I was trained on a cessna-152.
Ken

It used to be training SOP to pull the throttle to idle onto base
until the cold shock issue forced a gentler kinder approach
Brian W

Never heard of that, but I can understand it.
Ken

I was taught to pull the power on downwind, even with the desired
touchdown point.