Old March 8th 04, 03:58 PM
bumper

JJ,

DOT-3 is one of the common automotive brake fluids. It's glycol ether based
and this stuff will trash the seals in your hydraulic jack, which should
have a petroleum based oil. (EPDM seals for DOT-3 vs. BUNA-N for petro)

Jack oil is available at tool stores or a lifetime supply of hydraulic oil
can be purchased in 5 gallon pails at tractor places and is reasonably
priced.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
Mike,
It's DOT-3, don't use the red stuff (5606)

My jack stopped leaking when I stopped lifting the jack from the top, when
putting it back in the trailer. This can cause the ram to be pulled out

and it
doesn't like that. Pick it up from the bottom.
JJ Sinclair