Old June 5th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

Default VFR "picking his way thru" heavy cells with XM Radio weather

On Jun 4, 1:58 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

I understand your reluctance to squeal on a fellow airman, but how are
you going to feel when you learn that his ineptitude has caused his,
and perhaps the deaths of others?

It might be reasonable to contact the airman directly. Just a
thought.

FSDO : Hello Larry?
Larry : Yes?
FSDO : Some guy on the internet called us because he didn't think
you used good judgement on your flight last Saturday afternoon.
Larry : Who is this guy? Was he in the air at the time? Is he a
controller?
FSDO : Nope, just some random guy on the internet who has decided,
from a few scraps of data on the internet, that your WX judgement is
not up to snuff.
Larry : But he wasn't even there. Did I break any regs?
FSDO : There's no evidence that you broke any regs, Larry. It
doesn't really matter though. What does matter is the opinion of
some guy on the internet, and how, from the safety of his chair, he
has determined that you messed up enough to warrant a report to the
FSDO.

Maybe this guy messed up, maybe what he did was well within the
regs. Personally, I don't know how much weight this guy was actually
placing in his XM weather, as opposed to what he was seeing out the
window. The fact is, no one on this newsgroup knows that. I think
the idea of reporting someone to the FSDO because you think your
judgement (sitting behind a keyboard) is superior to what you think
his judgement might have been, is absurd.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)