Old March 24th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Military Pilot Training - Soloing the T-37

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 06:12:50 +0000, aviatorr727
wrote:

Larry Dighera;614706 Wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:32:56 +0000, aviatorr727
wrote:
-
I posted a lot of pictures from my USAF Pilot Training at Williams
AFB, Arizona at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aviator...7601902012851/

Here is the story of how I soloed in the T-37-
[Interesting story snipped]

How many hours did you have when your instructor felt you were ready
to solo the Tweet?

What are your opinions regarding the T-37 as a personal aircraft?

================================================= =========

I think I had about 15 - 20 hours in the T-37 when I soloed.

So it's safe to say that the T-37 takes about twice the time for a
student to become proficient enough to solo as a typical GA trainer.
Given that it has more than twice the performance, I'd say that's
reasonable.

I think it would be an excellent personal plane if you can afford the
fuel and maintenance.

I tried to research the specifications to see what sort of fuel usage
might be reasonable to expect, but I didn't find any mention at these
sites:

http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/t-37_tweet.pl
T-37 Tweet Specifications
Unit Cost: $164,854
Powerplant
Two Continental J69-T-25 turbojet engines rated at 1,025 pounds
(461.25 kilograms) each
Dimensions
Length: 29 feet, 3 inches (8.9 meters)
Wingspan: 33 feet, 8 inches (10.2 meters)
Height: 9 feet, 2 inches (2.8 meters)
Weights
Empty: 6,211 pounds (2,817 kilograms) -- OA-37B Dragonfly
Maximum Takeoff: 6,625 pounds (2,981 kilograms)
Performance
Speed: 360 mph (Mach 0.4 at sea level)
Ceiling: 35,000 feet (10.6 kilometers)
Range: 460 miles

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...ircraft_id=341
Cessna T-37 Tweet
PERFORMANCE:
Engine(s): 2 x Continental J69-T-25 turbojet engines delivering
1,025lbs of thrust each. - Compare Stats
Max Speed: 425 mph | 684 km/h | 369 kts
Max Range: 932 miles | 1,500 km
Service Ceiling: 39,199 ft | 11,948 m | 7.4 miles
Climb Rate: 3,370 ft/min (1,027 m/min)

DIMENSIONS:
Length: 29.27 ft | 8.92 m
Wingspan/Width: 33.79 ft | 10.30 m
Height: 9.19 ft | 2.80 m
Empty Weight: 3,869 lbs | 1,755 kg
MTOW: 6,598 lbs | 2,993 kg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-37_Tweet
Specifications (A-37B Dragonfly)

General characteristics
Crew: 2
Length: 32 ft 1 in (9.79 m)
Wingspan: 38 ft 5 in (11.71 m)
Height: 9 ft 3 in (2.82 m)
Wing area: 184 ft² (17.1 m²)
Empty weight: 6,210 lb (2,815 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 15,000 lb (6,800 kg)
Powerplant: 2× General Electric J85-GE-17A turbojets, 2,855 lbf
(12.7 kN) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 480 mph (420 knots, 770 km/h)
Cruise speed: 300 mph (260 knots, 480 km/h)
Range: 800 NM (920 mi, 1,480 km)
Service ceiling 41,800 ft (12,700 m)
Rate of climb: 7,000 ft/min (35.5 m/s)

http://www.mapsairmuseum.org/T-37.asp
The T-37C, with provisions for armament and extra fuel, was built
for export. In all, nearly 1,300 T-37As, Bs and Cs were built
before production ended in the late 1970s. In addition, nearly 600
A-37s — attack modifications of the T-37 — were built.

SPECIFICATIONS
Span: 33 ft., 10 in.
Length: 29 ft. 4 in.
Height: 7 ft. 5 in.
Weight: 6,580 lbs. loaded
Armament: none
Engines: 2 X Continental J69-T-25s of 1,075 lbs thrust each
Crew: Two
Serial Number: 57-2289

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 410 mph.
Cruising speed: 350 mph.
Range: 650 miles
Service Ceiling: 35,000 ft.

Additional interesting information he
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdoc.cfm?index=6239&type=1

Fuel is fast becoming a financial obstacle, not only to aviation, but
to automobile travel as well. What model of the Tweet did you fly,
and approximately what was the fuel usage in your experience?

Is there anything special about maintenance? I always thought
turbojet engines required less maintenance than reciprocating engines.

It does not have a lot of range,

The range figures above provide anywhere from 460 to 932 miles, so
it's difficult to assess the range issue.

but it is excellent for aerobatics.

I would expect it to be quieter than a typical internal combustion GA
machine. Is there provision for a G-suit?

It's fun to dream.....