Old November 9th 04, 01:06 PM
Dan Thompson

Thanks, Ron. I was hoping someone would point out that a 337 is not
required every repair. The only way to sniff out all damage history is to
read the maintenance records. Replacing parts like wing tips and landing
gear are not normal maintenance items, so "there's your sign."

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

I agree that a log search is the best way to know what is going on but
with
the fleet pushing 35 to 40 years of age, you could take a weekend to read
through it all.

Yep, and well worth it if you're going to plunk down $$$ on an aircraft.
I had 45 years worth of reading to do on 27K.

By the way, should something like this require a 337?

No. Part 43 Appendix A describes major repair. It primarily
covers "fixing" structural compoents where the repair involves
something that is different than the way it manufactured (like I
put a doubler on a broken spar or something). Replacing a flap
isn't a major repair, you're just replacing one approved part with
another one.