View Single Post
Old October 5th 12, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Best performing Vario?

On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:04:55 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:56:22 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:

This is also why I am concerned about it taking 9+ button pushes to change a turn point. In terms of eyes-in-the-cockpit, that is a much more serious situation, requiring maybe 30 seconds of concentrated effort - vs. 3 seconds or so for the better products.

Please explain how it takes you 9+ button pushes to change a turn point. Are you talking about making a task change inflight? That takes 8 total from map to map, to change or add a tp in a task. Or are you talking about selecting a new tp to steer to? That takes 3 actions. SYM is not the best, but it's not bad either.

Kirk

I am talking about an in-flight addition or replacement of turnpoint in a task. When I do it in SYM it takes 9 plus however much scrolling is involved in finding the turn point. Maybe there is an easier way than the ones I have figured out? MenuTask(select where or what you want to changeInsert....(scroll to turnpointhiglightSelectOkOk - 9+, isn't it? This is the worst of the programs I have actually tried in flight. A few of the buttons are small and hard to hit in turbulence, for example the ellipsis (...). Even just deleting a point is 7 buttons.

I don't think I have counted them up on XCSoar. WP is 4+ and less fiddly buttons too. iGlide is one!