Old December 29th 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

Blanding, UT has great possibilities for the Canyon Lands area and it's
not hard to make it to the Wasatch going north and west.Â* Or you could
head east and pick up the Rockies pretty quickly.Â* There's a motor
glider based there, but I don't have contact information. I've flown out
of Cortez, CO with an ASW-24e over to Richfield, UT and back to Durango,
CO on two successive days around the 4th of July.Â* This was on a safari
with a friend (who flew one of the above flights) and originated on the
eastern slopes of the Rockies at Black Forest.Â* Safaris are great fun!

On 12/29/2019 12:34 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-7, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, it is raining outside and I haven't been soaring in a long time, so naturally I am thinking about soaring next season.... I'll bet I am not the only one.

The big plan is a soaring safari to the Western US next season. I may be able to take as long as 2+ months. I am looking for ideas for unique/new/underflown as well as classic soaring sites to try. And maybe other folk would like to hear ideas for such sites also, hence this post.

I fly a self-launcher (ASH-26E) so I don't need a towplane, but I do like the company (and buddy system) of other soaring pilots. I like to camp on the airfield in my simple truck camper (nice to have an electric power hookup). I will need to find a shower at least every few days, haha.

I would like to assemble a long list of possible sites, I'll be watching the weather and soaring conditions and deciding where to go based on what looks good at the time. And where fun folk and flying might be.

Here is where I have been on previous soaring trips, all of which were great fun and are on my do-again list:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Salida Colorado (although field elevation at 7500 ft is at, and on hot days above, my climb performance limits)
King Mountain Idaho (open next year, I hope)
Most of the Southern California desert sites, but many years ago....

Places that I have heard are great and want to try some day:

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho
Kingman Arizona (hello Paul!)

Please post comments on these sites and primarily more site ideas, as well as info on any camps or meets you know about that might not make it into the SSA calendar. Or PM me if you don't want broad publication of these camps/meets, understandable. Include as much detail as you can! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim J6

Big Sky Soaring now has the Flying Y Airport south of Livingston, MT. Mission Mountain Glider Club Interest Group at Ronan, MT, has at least one self-launcher in the area. Both close to mountain soaring areas that need more exploring.

Frank Whiteley

--
Dan, 5J