Old July 25th 03, 01:31 AM
Mark Kolber

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:29:03 -0400, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

All that said, which crewmember(s) is not doing their job when a TFR is
busted and the SP is acting PIC? Will both pilots be held responsible? Who
is likely to receive the worst penalty (assuming equivalent rating of the
pilots)?

First of all, bear in mind that none of the real situation you found
involve a safety pilot who was held responsible for a dereliction by
the flying pilot.

But that aside, I'll give you a specific scenario and you can tell me
whether the scenario is ridiculous.

Two pilot go for a flight. The flying pilot (FP) will be PIC for a
variety of reasons, not the least of which is that it's at night and
the safety pilot (SP) isn't night current, so SP can't be PIC.

FP is going to practice holds. No ATC communication. They just find a
handy VOR and remain at an altitude that both know is below the MVA so
they are out of the way of IFR. FP is practicing holds in anticipation
of a IPC. Does a really bad job of the hold. Turns to the non holding
side and, unfortunately, busts a Stadium TFR that they both knew
about.

Reasonable scenario?

I'd say SP is screwed. And I'd say he'd get a bigger penalty than the
FP who relied on him (unless the FP knew the SP was an idiot)

This is only an opinion, and you're free to disagree.

Mark Kolber
APA/Denver, Colorado
www.midlifeflight.com
email? Remove ".no.spam"