Old August 13th 03, 06:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article , stant2
@mindspring.com says...
Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...

If you look at the names that come up with these rules, you'd know
they ARE or WERE team pilots. So, why are these pilots coming up with
rules that will hamper them or similar pilots in World contests? I
don't think you've made the point that our rules really work against
us in the World competitions, and until you do that, it's a lousy
reason to change our rules.

Uh, excuse me, but team flying is not allowed in US competitions. So
by definition, none of these pilots are team pilots.

I meant they were on our Team to the international championships, not
that they routinely did "team flying".

I've tried team
flying. It's a lot of fun, but also a lot of work, and the psychology
is really interesting. But it can make two gliders go a lot faster
than if they were flying individually - I have the .igc traces to
prove it. It is absolutely not something you do on the spur of the
moment and expect to do well at.

I agree, but this is the only rule I'm aware of that has hampered our
Team pilots.

I don't know why these rules have
been implemented, maybe they favor the type of flying the implementers
prefer.

This rule has been around for at least the 28 years I've been in the
sport. I think it represents our national character, if there is such
a thing, and it's certainly in line with how most of the racing pilots
have felt over the years I've been in the sport. As a group, we're
pretty individualistic. There's been no clamor to change it while I've
been around, though the idea does resurface periodically, but goes
nowhere, and soon even the international races will not allow it. I
think it's a dead issue.

I would love to hear why some of these rules were
implemented. Bottom line: we suck in international contests. No brag,
just fact. Now we fly the same gliders, with the same instruments,
and our weather is no better or worse than the rest of the world's.
You do the math.

Other the team flying rule, which we've known to be a problem for
decades, what current rules makes us unprepared for international
competition? Will changing these rules better promote soaring in this
country? And why do US pilots with considerable experience in
international competitions make these rules if it will hamper them or
others that get on the US Team?

It's a really good reason to change our rules. They are what set us
apart from the rest of the global soaring community. And until we
grow up and play in the big leagues, we will continue to be a minor
player in international soaring.

Doesn't it **** you off to be beaten by Japan?

No. And frankly, I don't take if personally if our Team is beaten by
some other Team, either.
--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)