Old August 5th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Manufacturing Quality

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
john smith wrote:

With the news that Piper will produce the Hondajet, I am wondering if
Piper will be able to produce the finished product to meet Honda's
quality standards.
Piper has not built anything bigger than a Malibu for 20 years.
The Cheyenne IV/LS-400 was the biggest aircraft Piper has produced.

I don't see why not. Americans at the Honda plants in Ohio produce cars
and motorcycles to Honda quality standards. And, based on my experience
with an 84 Honda Accord, purchased new, those standards aren't all that
high. The engine failed at 80,000 miles. Haven't owned a Honda product
since.

Matt

That's a rare case. What was the failure? I know of plenty of people who put
many, many miles on 80's vintage Accords with excellent reliability.

My current Accord has 217k miles and has had zero powertrain issues. No
engine work other than replacing the timing belt every 105k miles. No CV
work. No tranny work, and it even has the original clutch.

Since the late 70's, Hondas and Toyotas have been about as reliabile as
hammers.

KB