Old September 2nd 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default SSA response to Blanik L-13 grounding

On Sep 1, 9:59*pm, mike malis wrote:
I don't agree with this...

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, I think I perfectly understand Mike's frustration.
This looks like a situation where the SSA is stepping afresh into a
situation where others had been doing the groundwork for months and
years, and then saying (direct quote) "...SSA was on top of the
situation from the beginning...."

Note that I'm not saying it _is_ such a situation, just that it looks
like such. It brings to mind the cartoon of the politician asking a
bystander "Which way did they go? I am their leader, and I must get in
front of them!" But, again, the map is not the territory.

On the other hand, this might be a good time for interested parties to
swallow some pride and rally behind the national organization. The FAA
and the manufacturer need to see a unified front; they won't want to
do a bunch of redundant work with a bunch of small overlapping
factions.

Thanks, Bob K.