Old November 20th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

Mark Dickson wrote:
At 07:18 20 November 2005, Ramy Yanetz wrote:

I agree traffic and landing area may not need checklist,
but definitely
checking radio frequency and volume, trim for pattern
speed and checking the
spoilers must be part of every landing checklist.

Ramy

Personally, they are not part of my pre-landing checks.
If I've been flying in icing conditions (wave) I'll
try the airbrakes on the way down, apart from that
it is not necessary to check them prior to landing.
I don't adopt the approach speed until just prior
to base leg and I always trim after changing speed
whenever I'm flying, so why have it as part of a checklist?

To ensure they do operate (freezing shut is not the only way for them to
fail) and to activate the gear warning device.

The radio check may be valid in the States but isn't
necessary in the UK.

Is that because the field frequency is the same as the one you use
during the flight, or because the glider fields you use don't use a
radio in the pattern? I'm assuming you'd use the radio at a regular
airport with mixed traffic.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA