Old February 22nd 05, 11:10 AM
Ralph Savelsberg

Mike Kanze wrote:

Jacek,

"personal pods"

Referred to as "blivets" during my day (1969 - 1974). They were not as
frequently used then as in later years, I understand.

The "straight" (non-KA-6D) A-6 had enough space in the Etensible Equipment
Platform (the "birdcage") for the crew's hanging bags of civvies and shaving
kits. The T-2 had enough cube in the nose cone for 3 - 4 cases of Coors
Beer, very popular in the Meridian, MS of the late 1960s when you couldn't
buy it outside of Colorado.

Of course those personal pods/ travel pods had their own, probably
little-used, designation : MXU-somenumber

Though not a naval aircraft (well, not quite anyway) on the F-111A and E it wasn't uncommon for aircrew to use the internal weapons bay to store their stuff. The AF doesn't travle light.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg