Old August 12th 03, 12:18 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:42:49 +0000, Mark Manes wrote:

I've been using FliteSoft Pro for 4 or 5 yrs. I have considered trying
some others, mainly FlightStar, but FliteSoft does everything I need it to

I played with Flightsoft, Flightstar, Destination Direct, DigAV, and
another one that I can't quite remember the name of, the author posts in
the rec.aviation.* newsgroups about it. I am so close to remembering what
it's name is, but I can't get it. It's cheap compared to the others, has
most of their features, but I don't like it's interface. It does work
fine though.

They all deliver a product that can tell you how to get from a to b and
give you accurate times in doing so. What I believe seperates them is how
they display weather information. At the top of the heap is DigAV (now
discontinued) and FlightStar. Next would be FlightSoft and the rest
meander in follow the leader format. No Earth shaking differences once
you get past the Flightsoft/Flightstar level.

I have used the online planning software and it's nice, has some nice
features, but the drawback is they are sometimes very slow to load, and a
pain to update a complex flight plan.

The next software I buy will be Jeppesen's Flightstar because it's weather
graphics are lightyears ahead of any of the others, plus it's vector
charts are very nice in the amount of topographic data they display. You
can't go wrong with the newest version of Flightstar which is due to come
out soon, demo'd at Airventure.