Old September 10th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Declared first emergency last week

In article pQ_pm.36760$5n1.23712@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Some things will not last forever, and cables are one of them. Once they
get enough age and use and age on them, switch them out, as part of a good
preventative maintenance program.

I always wonder how to implement something like this, and with which items.

Control cables, for example, are obviously critical -- yet I don't recall
ever hearing about them being changed on condition, let alone preemptively,
even on our 61 year old Ercoupe. Sure, they're inspected every year, and
occasionally adjusted, but apparently they never wear out? Yet surely they
must, someday.

Just another one of those things you think about when you're flying an
antique aircraft. Right up there with "golly, that wing is only held on
with two bolts", and "gee, I wonder how many bouts of turbulence a
six-decade-old wing spar can withstand?"

:-)

How about, "Those wings are only held on with two pins *which I just
installed myself an hour ago*."

Or, "Gee, those pins that hold the body to the wings are smaller than my
thumb, and there's only two on each side."

Flying an aircraft you assemble yourself each time you fly it is much
like flying an antique aircraft in that respect. (Flying an antique you
assemble each time you fly is even better yet.)

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth