Old June 12th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying into Dulles

Arnold Sten wrote:
A pilot friend and I are thinking about flying my single into Dulles to
spend a day at the Udvar-Hazy Center. Anyone here know if small planes
can still taxi directly to that facility after landing? If so, are there
are any landing fees incurred? Does anyone have any unusual "tips" about
flying into Dulles (other than making certain to follow ADIZ procedures)?

Airplanes have NEVER been able to taxi to HAZY except under certain
prearranged conditions (which to my knowledge, other than stuff
destined for permanent display, has happened exactly twice).

As for flying into Dulles, it's a regular class B airport inside
the ADIZ. If you're coming in IFR the only proviso is that if
your transponder crumps, run away! If you're coming in VFR,
you need to file a flight plan. Instructions and a handy frequency/
entry point chart is on AOPA's site.

There are two FBO's at Dulles, I'd recommend Landmark. It's
a short cab ride down to the museum from either the terminal or
the FBO's.