Old December 7th 03, 02:46 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Dan Thompson wrote:
The nice thing about a Cirrus is also you could always (i.e., once) pop the
chute if the TKS couldn't keep up. I would think this would be comforting
when choosing to fly through a what was believed to be little known ice that
the TKS system should be able to easily handle, just in case you found it is
was more ice than anyone would have expected and you ran out of other
options. I think the TKS/chute combo would allow a lot of flights that
would keep me on the ground otherwise.

Not me. I really doubt that the BRS chute has been tested in icing
conditions. I don't want to be the test pilot for it. I suspect a
parachute could pick up a LOT of ice in a hurry given its surface area.
You might come down a lot faster than you think.

Matt