Old November 28th 04, 01:27 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/26/04 11:13 PM, in article
, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

When I worked for the Chicago Tribune, I (and many of my other
out-of-town co-workers) were under the distinct impression that
Chicagoans were the dumbest group of people we had ever met. The fact
that Daley is still in office is just another shred of evidence in
support of this assertion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay, I work for a small-town newspaper and that seems to be the attitude of
our reporters about our town. Trust me when I say they don't have any reason
to feel superior.

How do I know? One of them was conducting a phone interview with a WWII vet
and asked so many ignorant questions of the man, I'm surprised he didn't
hang up in disgust. For example: he was a sergeant and she asked him if he
was in the navy. She didn't know what or where Pearl Harbor was when he
mentioned it.
One of them did a story on a 16 year old student taking lessons at my flight
school and his first solo. They know I am a pilot. Did they ask me to
proofread the story? Nope. But I was able to skim through it before it ran,
and catch a lot of factual errors. Even then, not everything I pointed out
was fixed.

I've learned that the only information you can trust coming out of a
newsroom is the masthead.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic