Old September 7th 05, 03:44 PM
Chris G.

I hope you didn't buy the MapCreate 6 separately...It comes with the
2000c. I bought one during Oshkosh (though I was not at Oshkosh...got
mine from Pacific Coast Avionics for $749.00) and like it a lot, though
I am still trying to figure out the whole mapcreate thing. I need to
have less detail in the maps when flying.

Also, be sure to cash in on your FREE database update (1 time deal)
within the first 30 days. It comes on the 32MB SD card, but I called
Lowrance Cust Svc about what brands of memory cards. They recommend
only using SanDisk cards. They have the highest compatibility rate.
Also, they suggested not going over 512 MB card size because (at this
time) the 1.0 GB cards are still "iffy" as far as working with the
2000c. I purchased the SanDisk 512 MB Ultra II SD card and it works
great. My map includes all of Oregon, Washington, Western Idaho (to
Boise), and N. California (to between Vacaville and Concord). I also
downloaded the free airport maps available on lowrance.com in the 2000c
support area. This pretty much filled the card (which was my intent).

I liked that I was able to see the tracks when I was flying, but I had
to turn that ON in aviation mode. My turns about a point were better
when I had that feedback during my training. I also like the cover that
I can put over the GPS as it makes it easy to have the GPS running but
not used unless I need it. I did that on a X-C to make sure I was not
going to get lost or to confirm some of my calculations, but kept it
covered most of the time to concentrate on using the VORs, Pilotage, and
Dead Reckoning.

I'm debating whether or not I can afford the $195 upgrade that is due in
the next few weeks to give me terrain and driving directions (along with
who-knows-what-else).

Chris G.

Dave wrote:
Ahhhh...

I should clarify,

Depth sounder was another brand, and 18 years old...

But I am going to replace it with a Lowrance unit after
their performance on the AM 1000 prob...

Only 1 AM1000 was purchased, 15 months ago, only one (the
original failed.

Also, their support on the phone questions on operation,
and their custom mapping software have been great!

I tried hard to find the latest version of "MapCreate 6" at
dealers without success....

Their response was "Do you have a Master card or Visa? "

3 days later, in my mail box...

So that's why I am buying a Lowrance sounder....

Dave

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 00:13:38 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote

Dissapointed it died, but very happy with Lowrances's
support...

Damn, I'm glad you are pleased with the support, but....

Two units dead, with less that a year and a half on them? Plus the fact
that is not like they are in continuous use... Not very good, for nicely
expensive electronics, is it?

It certainly sways my electronics spending their way. That, and their
wonderful support of older unit's (that survives) databases.

NOT

YMMV