Old April 1st 04, 04:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dave Butler wrote:

I don't understand. That doesn't sound like an extraordinarily dangerous
maneuver to me (turning, that is. Stalling that close to the ground is obviously
dangerous).

I wouldn't classify it as "extraordinarily dangerous" either, but the CFIs with whom
I've flown always caution students about making unnecessary turns below 500' AGL on
takeoff. You're low and slow and it's entirely too easy to bank just a bit too much.
You also don't need the distraction at that point. An old Cherokee leaving Kupper
with two on board would probably be about 200' AGL.

These guys may have just carelessly gotten the nose a bit too high. From what I read
and heard, the plane hit the ground with the wings level.

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.