Old April 5th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

Default My engine quit!

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Private" said:
Did you perform the (required?) engine clearing procedures during the
decent?

No.

My training schools required SOP was to use carb heat (if avail.) before
(and during) and clear the engine frequntly during any extended closed
throttle operation such as engine out practice and testing. IIRC the
frequency was every 300-500ft. IIRC there is a TC requirement for clearing
during flight testing and that proper clearing is part of the task grading
as per the published Flight Test Standards. There is also a restriction on
'over-clearing' when coming up short. IIRC some examiners say that they
will perform or instruct when to clear.

What does the POH say about closed throttle decents?

Nothing. All I can find is that for normal approach you use mixture on
full and electric fuel pump on.

Is there a proceedure for rapid decent such as a passenger health prolem?

ISTM that mixture is altitude dedendant but I do not know yours. Many seem
to benifit (reduced lead fouling of spark plugs) from aggresive leaning when
operating at closed or partial throttle.

Could there be a problem with any fuel or pressure regulaing valves?

If this is a club plane regularly used for training then I suspect that this
has happened before and the club should have developed an approved
proceedure to deal with the problem.

I would be concerned about operational failure should increased power be
required for go-round or if coming up short.

Happy landings,

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/