Old January 15th 21, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

Default OLC in Firefox?

The majority of inexplicable, impossible bugs reported to me on websites I've made are eventually tracked down to overzealous privacy browsers/ad-blockers/antivirus blocking legitimate web functionality silently (for example, WebGL) that could theoretically be used for tracking/advertising.
You will end up seeing a slower, more broken web everywhere you browse, and you'll not likely realize it's due to your browser.

If you feel you must go down this route I recommend what I use, which is Chrome and uBlock Origin - even still l have to semi-frequently disable uBlock when I find a button that won't press or a form that won't submit on a government website or similar.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 3:04:59 AM UTC+11, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 1/11/21 4:08 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:02:55 -0500, Moshe Braner wrote:

In recent weeks/months I can load an OLC flight page OK in my off-beat
browser (Pale Moon), but if I open the page in Firefox it never shows me
the map of the flight, it forever says "Please wait, loading in
progress..." in that part of the page. But it does show the text info
of the flight. Must be something in the Firefox settings or add-ons?
I have an ad-blocker add-on, but telling it to leave the OLC pages alone
does not help. Firefox used to display OLC pages OK some months back,
before I foolishly allowed it to "upgrade" to a newer version. Anybody
have the same issue? (No, I won't use Chrome...)

The only annoyance Firefox has produced recently is to restart after a
shutdown with a list of the last 'n' URLs accessed along the top - with
any non-local reference refuses to open. Delete the lot and FF
immediately shuts down, but at least after that it can be started with
your default home page showing.

My main browser is now Brave, which by and large does just what you
expect.

Another feature of Brave that I like is certain statistics it presents
with the opening of each new tab. It's a setting which you can select
or not, but I like seeing it. Having used Brave for a month or so now,
these are the stats:

31,616 Trackers & ads blocked
1.39GB Bandwidth saved
27minutes Time saved