Old August 6th 04, 12:07 PM
David Megginson

Default Noise (was A question only a newbie would ask)

John T wrote:

The majority of the noise generated by piston planes isn't engine noise, but
propeller noise.

The thing that gets me are the dildos^H^H^H^H^H^Hfellow pilots with CS props
who set them to maximum RPM during approach. That makes their planes more
than twice as loud as the fixed-pitch planes (who are around 1500 rpm on
approach), and while I love hearing all the small planes flying over my
house, I'm worried that my neighbours might someday lose their goodwill and
patience.

I have no issue with max RPM on takeoff, of course. Most planes climb more
steeply than they approach, so the noise doesn't last long in any case.

All the best,

David