Old November 16th 11, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

On Nov 15, 6:17*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
On Nov 15, 3:57*pm, JohnDeRosa wrote:

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. *Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
tablets to cell phones.

I hate to break it to you guys, but there is a gorgeous sunlight
readable display on the market, the clear-nav. SN10 is pretty easy to
read too, but offers less stuff on the screen, which Dave might argue
is an advantage. No need to wait...
John Cochrane

Don't think so.

Current engineering specs say 1500 nits brightness is required for
'good' readability in direct sunlight. CCFL's backlights delivering
that brightness would pull amps, not mili-amps. LED backlights are
better but current draw and heating are still problems. If you did
somehow create a screen with 1500 nits brightness, it would be like
looking into a car headlight.

I can't find the specs, but I'm guessing the best glider displays are
in the 500 - 1000 nit brightness range and pull around .8 amps.

Far easier on the eyes and battery would be a high-contrast, high
color saturation REFLECTIVE display like the Mirasol technology.