Old June 3rd 15, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

Default Parowan Safari

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 9:38:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 9:28:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
That's good information John, thanks. For everyone else, Parowan is a terrible, terrible place to fly. I'd try to go somewhere else if I were you.

What kind of experience did you have at Parowan to make that statement? Parowan is generally considered to be a premiere soaring site.

I'm always so high and the many airports are so close together and coincide with the good soaring weather that I have no idea if any of the many fields available are landable. I don't think anyone else knows for sure either.. It's a big concern that nobody talks about. And, there's basically no airspace issues until you get to SLC so oftentimes I get distracted by the stunning scenery while flying. That can be really annoying. The takeaway here is that I have some concerns and can be annoyed when I fly out of Parowan..

I can appreciate that being high may be of some concern, "What if I get low". I flew there for several years and ran several contests there. There were several land outs and no damage and easy retrieves, so I think that reviewing some of the contest flights will show that some of us "know for sure". Other than that I think I would trade being high and getting annoyed rather than being low and getting annoyed.

gkemp