Old October 21st 05, 11:37 PM
Chris Nicholas

Default Becker Mode S Transponder product announcement

A correspondent wrote to me that "The rather rude term "squitter" refers
to the burst transmission that Mode S uses; the extended squitter has an
uplink as well as a downlink and has more capacity to transmit
additional data such as gps position that can then be used as the basis
of an anti-collision warning system."

I also heard that the FAA has picked two technologies (to work side by
side) for that datalink, and one of them is Mode S Extended Squitter,
which is already a capability of most Mode S airborne equipment (e.g.
the GTX330). "It's the same datalink over which the FAA provides its
Traffic Information System".

There's a Mode S FAQ he

http://www.eurocontrol.int/mode_s/FAQ/mode_s_faq.htm

on which I found: "The Mode S transponder extended squitter is also an
enabler for ADS-B operation".

If anyone knows more, or finds this inaccurate and can correct it, I
should be grateful for that information.

Chris N.