Old January 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine Shop Selection (was 'showing metal @ 1,100)

Maule Driver wrote:
Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued.

I had a similar situation where my O360 (around 1000 hrs) started making
metal. I opted for a factory reman in the interest of minimal down time.
Took a couple weeks to get it to me and my mechanic to get it hung
on the plane.