Old September 17th 04, 10:09 PM
Marc Reeve

Pooh Bear wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

In article i%42d.200183$Fg5.134891@attbi_s53,
Mike Dargan wrote:

John Mullen wrote:

"John Carrier" wrote in message

I think the single biggest undone defense would have been torpedo nets, but
the reality was no one thought torpedoes could be used effectively in
Pearl
Harbor's shallow waters.

So news of Taranto had not reached the US then? Because it had obviously
reached Japan ok....

The US commanders were such bigots that they couldn't imagine the
slanty-eyed nips daring to attack.

The Brits were similarly surprised when the lost the Prince of Wales and
Repulse, not to mention Singapore.

From a UK TV programme I saw some years ago now, it was apparently no surprise at
all to some of their crew.

They should have been accompanied by a carrier.

Wasn't HMS Illustrious slated to accompany them, until she grounded?

--
Marc Reeve
Some guy at a desk somewhere ^reverse^ for email