Old June 13th 05, 06:11 PM
Ross Richardson

Nathan Young wrote:

I went for a boat ride on the Fox River this morning (NW Chicago
burbs). The Broken Oar is a bar/restaurant on the river that gets a
lot of boat and biker traffic. It can be an interesting place to
spend an afternoon on a summer weekend. Anyway, as I boated by - much
to my surprise, I saw a plane on floats beached next to the Waverunner
parking. Cool!

I could not decide what type of plane it was. It looked to be the
size of a 172, but had a 2-blade constant speed prop.

The cowling had a few circular bumps on either sides, toward the
midsection of the cowling.

It was not marked experimental, at least on the exterior.

Any ideas on what I saw?

It could be a C-172 with the Avcon/Doyn/Bush conversion. I have a '65
Skyhawk that you describe very accurately. The "bumps" are clearance
for the cylinder heads since the STC holder did not redo the top
cowling. They are made of fiberglass and riveted on.

--
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP