Old January 7th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default LPV vs LNAV/VNAV?

Andrew Sarangan wrote:

That mental calculation could be easily performed by the GPS and
displayed as a glideslope. But I have not seen any GPS do that.
Certification is irrelevant.

Certification is most certainly relevant to your query, as that is most
likely what kept that feature out of the TSO C129a certified IFR GPS's.

A handheld Garmin 196 (I think that is the model a pilot-friend had with
him a couple of years ago) that we took up on a practice IFR flight did
just that. It displayed a glideslope for a non-precision approach. If the
cheaper handhelds can do it, then why don't their IFR-certified TSO C129a
big brothers do it? Because it wasn't part of the certification and
therefore, regardless of their ability to provide this feature, are
restricted from doing so due to the certification.

--
Peter