Old October 11th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek C

Default Aug 6th B738 and Glider Near Miss. Frankfurt

On Oct 11, 7:47*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:44*am, Derek C wrote:

On Oct 11, 7:17*pm, kd6veb wrote:

Hi Gang
* I think this is scary and morally unjustified. How could 2 gliders
be so close to an airport approach and not have operating transponders
turned on? There has been much discussion of Flarm recently and maybe
Flarm would be a useful device for all to have in glider competitions
but Flarm is useless for GA. I guess it is going to take a midair
between a glider and a commercial airliner and the subsequent death of
a couple of hundred people before reason is applied and transponders
mandated within 50 or so miles from all commercial airports.
Transponders are so cheap ($2500) and can easily be installed in any
glider (Don't give me any crap on that. I installed one on my
ultralight glider the SparrowHawk.) as to be something well past
discussion. I tried to push this concept of mandatory transponder
usage within 50 miles of a commercial airport with Pasco a couple of
years ago without success after the Minden midair collision between a
business jet and a glider which had its transponder turned off. So I
guess it is going to have to take a bad accident to make it happen.
Dave

On Oct 11, 9:54*am, Karen wrote:

Lessons to be learned?

http://avherald.com/h?article=4320f1c2

Join the discussion.- Hide quoted text -

You must be a rich Yank with more money than sense! $2500 sounds like
a small fortune to a hard up Brit. Why not get airliners to fit $300
Flarm units?

Derek C

FLARM is short range, therefor not useful for Glider to commercial
traffic- Hide quoted text -

About 5 km range, so enough to take avoiding action. I note from the
article that the B737 claimed to be at 5500 ft AMSL at the time the
near miss took place and the gliders were allowed to fly transponder
free up to 5000 ft in the area, so it probably wasn't as close as the
article claimed.

Derek C