Old August 22nd 19, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Mistral-C vs DG-100

On 8/21/2019 9:57 AM, Surge wrote:
On Friday, 26 July 2019 21:39:43 UTC+2, calin fagarasanu wrote:
-has all moving tail which I never flew and understand it is a safety
concern

An all flying elevator should really only be a safety concern if you're a
ham-fisted pilot. They're a great way to cure "stick shaker" pilots of
their bad habit.

If you're mentally prepared to use small elevator movements for the first
couple of flights and pick a nice day without gusty conditions you should
be fine. It took me about 30 minutes of the first flight to get used to the
Nimbus 2 all flying elevator.

"What Surge said," regarding my all-flying-elevator transition-experience.

Went from ~125 total hours in 1-26s to C-70 (50 hrs) and HP-14 (195 hrs) to a
15-meter Zuni w. single-piece horizontal stab. "Got over it" on my first tow,
mostly within the first vertical 3 feet. Little different than every other
single-seater transition, for me. Put 2k hours on the ship.

IMHO, pilots in general tend to magnify (beer and campfires help) ship
differences well beyond reality. Think V-tailed Bonanzas, ASW-20 "Jesus
flaps," etc.

Nothing beats sensible preparation.

YMMV.
Bob W.