Old August 26th 19, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Mistral-C vs DG-100

I recently started flying a DG200.

I had not previously flown on a C.G. hook and had also no flown gliders for over 10 years when I got back into the hobby this past spring.

I joined Utah Soaring Association that luckily enough had several Twin Astir's with C.G. hooks. I took about 13 hours training to both knock my flight skills rust off and learn C.G. hook tows.

After getting my skills up to a safe level on the nose hook, I started training on the C.G. hook on the Astir and did not have much difficulty in that transition.

The more noticeable change was when I started flying the DG200. Per the manual elevator is to be trimmed full forward for take off.
My first take off, I did pitch up somewhat steeply and corrected appropriately with down elevator. I had been warned about the possibility of the pitch up of course so it was not too dramatic. But it did get my attention.

After a few more tows I was of course much more stable in the takeoff, to the point I am comfortable with the aircraft now.

I find at my weight and balance at roughly only 37 percent. If I bring the trim back about 15 to 20 percent from full forward trim the take off is pretty standard.