Old November 2nd 16, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh

Default Self-launch v Sustainer

OK, let me try to clarify too.
When I said I'd like a self-launch engineered by Honda I really
meant the whole package, not just the core engine. I'd agree
that many of the self-launch problems are not with the core
engine but equally some are very definitely core engine
related.

Let's imagine that you are a German engineer given a blank
piece of paper and asked to design a water cooled two cylinder
two stroke specifically for installation in a self-launch. Years
down the line what have we have got; an engine/installation
that suffers: -
Cylinder head cracks.
Cylinder base gasket leaks.
Iffy crankcase/cylinder head bolts.
Drive belts that fail.

We all know that German engineering can, sometimes, be the
best in the world....I just think it's not very evident in some of
the self-launchers currently on offer.

Of course if you fly from 8000 foot runways surrounded by nice
flat fields this may be less of a worry than flying from many
European glider sites.

Happy landings (and take offs), Dave W.