Old February 15th 04, 02:44 PM
Gerry Caron

They're good radios, and compare favorably with King and Narco of the era.
Collins sold the "Microline" to STEC back in the early 80's. Service is
still available from STEC.

That said, they're 25 year old radios. We took 2 ea. Microline comms and
navs out of the club Cheetah last year and replaced them with an Apollo
GX-60 and a SL-30. Even with the addition of the SL-10 audio panel, the
airplane's weight went down by 8 lbs.

When buying a plane, it will be cheaper to get one equipped with what you
want than to upgrade it yourself after buying. If you're looking for a
basic plane and don't plan to immediately upgrade the panel, the Collis
radios will do the job just as well as the others.

Gerry

"Tony Woolner" wrote in message
I saw yesterday a Piper Warrior with a Collins radio. Never saw these

radios
before.The owner flies serious IFR with the plane. There is also a 170

radio
and an antique ADF in two parts, with needle on the left side.No

autopilot.
What do you think?

Jim wrote:

Can the group tell me how Collins Radios rank as far as quality compared
with King and Narco? I've never used them and I see a lot of the 70's
Archers seem to have Collins as standard equipment.
Thanks!
--
Still shopping,
Jim Burns III