Old August 20th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How to get help getting $$ for airport upgrades?

We have been very vocal lately about the successful first large gliding event at Nephi, Utah that ended a few weeks ago. The city and county were very accommodating and helped us to get the airport grounds as usable to gliders as possible without spending big bucks.

Now that we proved to them that gliders will come in large numbers and will want to come back year after year, we are ready to start working with them on a master plan to make further glider-friendly improvements to the airport. The improvements in mind will cost tens of thousands up to hundreds of thousands if we could get everything we wanted. I want to be as prepared as possible to work with them and help them to help us.

Some of you have worked with government and elected officials in the past to get improvements to airports that help gliding. I would love to learn from you what worked, what were the hot buttons to get officials motivated and what possible federal or other programs are available that will help match or provide funds for airport improvements.

I know that Moriarty just got a cross wind runway. Great!!! I heard the mayor changed out with a new one which helped but what did the new mayor have to do to get the funding?

Thanks for your ideas and info and please feel free to also contact me directly to discuss.

Thanks!
Bruno - B4