Old October 17th 03, 01:45 PM
tscottme

Simon Robbins wrote in message
"tscottme" wrote in message
Victor Davis Hanson makes a good point that what threatens the

French
and the radical anti-Americans around the world is the eagerness of
their young to embrace what the US offers while considering their

local
culture as dated.

I think the article came over a bit self-indulgent, but I think

there's some
truth in what he says, (and what you suggest above.) Though in Europe

at
least I don't think it's about the young considering their own

cultures as
dated, but often the American money that comes with the imported
movies/clothing/music/food ensures that local products aren't able to
effectively compete. (Consider that the majority of movie theatres in

the UK
are now owned by Amercan movie distributors, (like WB for example),

it's
damn hard to get an audience for home grown movies without at least US
investment in the production. ) In effect, we're increasingly not

given the
choice of accepting American cultural influence but feel it's being

forced
upon us. Of course there are plenty of fine US

movies/clothes/music/food,
but whoever remembers the good things?

If the locals didn't flock to the McDonalds or Hollywood movies it
wouldn't matter. Everyone on the losing end of these equations says the
same thing, "our product is better but we are losing due to unfair
competition". Detroit auto makers said the same thing when
lower-priced, higher-quality Japanese cars kicked their butts.

--

Scott
--------