Old December 19th 16, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

Default Static Wing Load Testing of Old Wooden Glider Wings

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 10:27:22 AM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 6:24:51 PM UTC-8, Scott Williams wrote:

I do not think there is any way to perform a meaningful non destructive load test on potentially airworthy wings.

I posted an incomplete opinion, I stand corrected.

I do however doubt that an average 'Joe" in his garage or driveway could duplicate a professional calculated evaluation of 1963 Austria wings and end up with useful results and/or useful wings at the end of the exercise. However, with the correct application of money and expertise, load testing of the wings in question is more than easily done.

With respect, Bob would you entertain offering a reasonable cost/expense estimate of duplicating your exercise? including the engineer expertise? Please consider that the original poster seemed to indicate no prior knowledge, test fixture, data, or test area/facility.

I think my humble opinion was simply that such a procedure was beyond the average skill ability of the typical sailplane Do It Yourselfer, or even A.I..

The process of actual load testing of aerodynamic surfaces is of course a routine and usually mundane exercise for design development and production.

Thank you in advance,
Respectfully,
Scott W.