Old June 11th 04, 02:26 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Sal" wrote in
:

Weather looks clear, huh? What planet do you call your home?

These weren't taken by the Mars Rover? ;-)

Having seen a few...that's a tail low landing.

Understand, I haven't seen any, so I'm asking for clarification, and
not challenging you on this, but could you explain more?

I understand a tail strike, and deflecting the main rotor into the
tailboom. And this fits with the pitch of the blades on both rotors (though
in an accident situation this isn't indicative of anything). But both skids
being sprung and the noticeable forward motion, apparently following the
gear collapse, seems like an awfully hard contact even for someone coming
in with a heavy flare. Am I misinterpreting things?

Potentially, I guess I could see it if he was coming in damn fast and
flared to arrest the forward motion, too low to safely do so. But I would
hope this wasn't the case, since that strikes me as a needlessly reckless
approach. I'm open to correction.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain