Old June 12th 04, 06:31 AM
Hawkdoc

Mike, I'm glad to see you know something about perimeter security and
aircraft recovery or even a UH-1. These pictures look like they were taken
by the DART team (Downed Aircraft Recovery Team). Perimeter security is
pulled even on aircraft crashes in the states to keep site seers and
vultures from contaminating the site. And isn't almost anyplace off base
still Indian country? Most battery's were upgraded to the AH-1's and
relocated to the tailboom for weight and balance. Notice no big battery
disconnect? What your seeing is Nav, COMSEC and commo gear in the nose. The
fact that the Marines are standing on the Boom to allow the inspection of
the nose and the fact the CPG's green house is missing a huge chunk might
indicate battle damage. Also, it appears that both counter measures pods
have been used. What strikes me as odd are that both skid gear are on the
left side next to the fuselage and the unusual dent pattern on the top of
the skid under the aircraft. You will notice what appear to be skid marks
at an angle to the aircraft. But, the oddest part is that taliboom is off
to the side and in front of the aircraft. The blades show no strike damage
from the boom or the ground. Possibly due to the fact tail rotor wasn't
turning when it landed where it is in the picture, which might suggest it
wasn't turning on impact, there is no torn up ground. I'm guessing either
tail rotor or tail shaft failure. Or possibly they hit the boom on one of
the nearby bearms (notice the dent on the boom in front of the separation).
This wasn't a low tail, high nose impact evident by the fact the tail
stinger is not bent. But, hey I wasn't there what do I know? I just hope
and pray that the crew and pax walked away to **** and bleed and hoist a
cold one to one more landing.

James Wilson
Former DART Team leader, TI OH-58 A/C, KW, AH-1S/E/F, UH-1D, UH-60A/L

"Mike "Rotor" Nowak" wrote in message
One more,

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...68&size=medium

I was being sarcastic about the wx.. it looks like these pics were fairly
recent after the crash, with no calvary there ot help things out -- plus,

in
the above pic, it looks like they're disconnecting the batt, something I
doubt they'd wait long after the crash to do...

From what the thing looks like, I'd agree that it was a tail chop job...

but
I'm interested in the story behind what happened. They pulled the

equipment
out, the door guns look to have been pulled, and I can even see a permiter
being established in some of the pics, which leads me to believe it's

behind
the lines. Just curious what happened.

-Mike

"Mike "Rotor" Nowak" wrote in message
Hey All,

I just came across these photos and am curious if anyone knows the story

of
what happened. Weather sure looks clear so I doubt that had anything to

do
with it...

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...75&size=medium

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...67&size=medium