Old February 4th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Kobra

Default Lightspeed Zulu pirep

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Kobra,

I understand that BT must be secure for cell phone use, but I thought
there
was a BT connection protocol that is not secure just for a situation such
as
I described. Does anyone have any information on this topic?

AFAIK, the one-connection limit has nothing to do with security, it is
inherent
in the way BT works, in this case specifically the adaptor in the iPod.
You
might want to think about an intercom with a stereo music input. Much
cheaper
would be to use a Y cable as available from many sources.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Thanks Tom...but I think I figured out a fix / workaround. The Jabra BT
adaptor hooks to the iPod on it's bottom jack and it links to my Zulu. As
an experiment I also plugged in a headset to the 1/8" jack on the top of the
iPod and it worked simultaneously with the BT adaptor. Jabra also makes a
universal BT adaptor that plugs into this same 1/8" jack. Therefore, my
wife can pair to the BT adaptor on the 1/8" jack with her Zulu and I can
pair to the one on the bottom jack with my headset. I'm pretty confident
that this will work.

I already have a stereo audio panel with music input. I have the PS
Engineering 8000B. Therefore all four places can have music. AAMOF, the
rear seats can listen to the front's music or they can plug into their own
music jack for separate music for the front and back. Great if you have
kids that don't want to listen to your music selection and visa versa. The
"problem" is that you have to use a wire running up to the audio panel and
the pilot and co-pilot can not have separate muting. The front and back
can, but not the crew. I can isolate myself, but then I also isolate myself
on the intercom and music.

With the Zulu connecting as I described above, I can have no wires running
around and also I can have the music mute when ATC talks and my wife can
enjoy uninterrupted music.

In the rare moment that I have three or four in the plane, I can always use
the audio panel's music input to pump sound to all four places.

Kobra