Old January 11th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Pirep request: FlightPrep vs 396

In article .com,
"Longworth" wrote:
I was interested in the same thing but after seeing a slew of
laptops and desktops with sudden hard drive failures, I gave up on the
idea of using laptop or tablet PC for weather/GPS/electronic flightbag
option. Hope to see tablet PC using flash memory only in a near
future. I am looking forward to the introduction of the Lowrance 2000
with XM weather this summer. It will blow Garmin 396 out of the water
if it also allow approach chart display.

The AirMap 2000c has a ways to go before it will surpass the 396. The
2000c isn't even as capable as the 296, and although the screen is
larger, it has about half the resolution of the 296/396. I doubt that
Lowrance will add approach chart capability, and if they do, I doubt
that it will be very practical on the existing screen.

I would love to see Lowrance release a unit that is competitive with the
396, but they have a long way to go from the 2000c to get to that point.

JKG