Old July 29th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hamish Reid

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote:

You do not have to be under an IFR clearance to practice approaches. In
fact, some controllers will say "Practice Approach Approved" rather than
the normal "Cleared for the approach" to make this point clear.

That matches my experience.

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation or
terrain warning is provided.

My local guys usually say "Cleared for the ILS XX practice approach,
remain VFR".

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

Hmmm. 'Round here I don't think I've ever heard a controller ask that,
and I've certainly never been asked it with any of the (fairly frequent)
pop-up approach requests I've gotten because of the coastal stratus back
into Oakland (KOAK) on flights that started VFR. Occasionally NorCal
Approach will respond by asking me if I want a full clearance or just
want a practice approach, which I usually interpret as the controller
having a full plate and wondering whether it's really IMC out there and
hinting I could get slotted in much easier if I did a practice
approach....

Hamish