Old June 17th 17, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Tale of Two Takeoffs

Jordan, I have heard several "reasons" for using spoilers on standard class gliders. First of which is that the spoilers "board" the air out ward and increase flow over the ailerons. Second that "spoiling" the lift on the raising wing will let it come back down. I tend to think the first is closer to the truth. But from personal experience in an ASW-19, it works. I didn't really believe it until I tried an experiment. When landing, I put the spoilers away on the last half of the rollout not using the brake untill one of the wings started to drop and I had full aileron deflection in and it continued to drop. At this point I was traveling at around 10-15 mph, when I then opened the spoilers the wing imediately came back up and stayed there until I was down to less than a couple of mph. All I really know is that it works.