Old April 9th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 2:12:46 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Out of curiousity, does anyone know how electric motorgliders handle prop strikes? I know that it can be very expensive to rebuild a conventional aircraft engine after a prop strike, but what are electric manufacturers recommending?

I am buying the Jeta because I have seen a Silent Electro prop strike on a grass field. The prop is just too close to the ground for reliable self-launching in an FES (my opinion). In the situation I saw the prop exploded but running the motor afterward showed no evidence of a bent shaft or other damage to the system. However they still recommend you send it back to the factory for inspection!