Old April 24th 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]

Default Our New Club Ship Becoming Reality

On 24/04/2020 13:03, Martin Gregorie wrote:

ASK-21s do spin: don't let anybody tell you they won't.

I did my pre-solo spin training on one, *without* the tail weight, though
admittedly neither the instructor or myself were heavy people and it
needed a fair amount of persuasion to spin. You need a minimum energy
entry: set it up fully stalled in a straight line with the stick on the
back stop, full rudder until its rolled 45 degrees and then put the stick
in the opposite rear corner, and it rolls wings vertical as it starts to
spin. Recovery is normal.

whilst this may be true and allow practising spin recovery the risk is
that this gives an impression for a trainee that a situation where a
glider will spin is not one likely to be encountered in normal flight.

--

Nick Hill