Old June 5th 05, 03:10 AM
Ray Bengen

How come you didn't simply ask for an IFR descent below the cloud deck as
the layers were well known by then ?

Mind you, I didn't and finally got the approach clearance to the ILS after
futzing around for over 45 minutes. A simple request down to the MVA
woulda worked wonders.

Hindsight. Doesn't beat pancakes.

Ray

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:00:39 -0400, Tom Fleischman

On 2005-06-04 18:34:25 -0400, Michelle P
said:

I went IFR and gave up after 1:45 of flying for what is normally a 45
minute flight.
Michelle

So did I. There was a 45 minute hold for release at 8AM, then at 8:45
they began letting IFR departures go, but by the time I rounded up my
passengers at 9AM the hold went back up for another hour. By 9:45 HPN
was VFR and the weather was looking a little better to the southwest so
we decided to try and go VFR. But by the time we got just north of
Philly we were on top of a solid undercast and my request with Philly
Approach for an IFR clearance into Frederick was met with howls of
laughter, and then they said fine if you want to circle for an hour and
a half we might be able to work that clearance out, so we turned around
and went back to Sky Acres for pancakes.

On 2005-06-03 12:22:42 -0400, said:

Seeing as the big AOPA shindig is in Frederick, MD this weekend,
anybody wanna guess how many GA pilots bust the D.C. ADIZ? In spite of
AOPA's publishing the arrival procedures I'm thinking Saturday will be
a busy day for the Air Force...
Go IFR if you can.

http://www.opera.com/m2/