Old August 28th 03, 06:35 PM
Eric Miller

"Corrie" wrote
"Eric Miller" wrote
But the point is, as a worldview, Christianity is falsifiable. Just
like a good scientific hypothesis - that's my point.

I'd suggest that's is "conveniently falsifiable" if the only opposing
evidence you'll accept cannot be provided.
(Which is not the same thing as saying it couldn't have been provided at one
time.)

No difference between that and me asking you to prove the ejection from Eden
by producing the (supposedly long decayed) core of the forbidden fruit.

I have to reject, a priori, any god that rules, rewards and punishes on
anything except results.

Judging God, are we? :-) I did that, once upon a time. Then I
realized how silly it was of me.

Oh I definitely sit in judgment! After all, having created him in our image,
complete with temper, jealousy and a vengeful nature, we're free, nay
*obligated*, to judge him.

No last minute jailhouse conversions.

Jesus would disagree with you. He forgave the repentant thief hanging
next to him, remember? But hey, if you know more about how God should
work than Jesus, go for it.

Yeah, I'd be repentant too if I was hanging from a tree suspended by nails
hammered through my body; I'd repent things I never even did!
Oh sure, stealing and killing was fun at the time, but he never would'dve
done it if he knew he'd get caught.
Or maybe it was worth it to him at the time and he still would've, he's just
unhappy with his current situation.
Does that mean he should be seated at God's right hand? I don't think so.

"Do what though wilt, but repent before you die" is a morally corrupt
philosophy.

People that don't practice what they preach get sent straight to
H-E-double-hockeysticks.

And that goes double for faith healers that line their pockets by taking
advantage of religion and selling false hope to people that can't afford

it.
(Faith healers really need to be tormented on Earth as well as in the
hypothetical afterlife.)

See Matthew 7, ibid....

Are you suggesting I shouldn't judge slimy, conniving, sellers of false hope
to the downtrodden lest I be judged myself? Haven't sold any false hope
today, I think I'm safe

He doesn't REQUIRE subservience from us. It's just that it's all we
have to offer. He's God, we're not. *shrug* But you raise an
interesting point - does God need us? The answer is no. He needs
nothing. He's supremely happy just being himself.

Tell that to Noah's neighbors and the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Does God need us? Absolutely! Since he's a figment of our creation, if we
go, so does he.
Supremely happy? It'd be nice if every time he threw a temper tantrum,
millions of people didn't suffer and die as a result.
And maybe destroying Job's whole family just to win a bet wasn't such a
great idea.
Supremely happy? I wouldn't even say he's supremely mature.

Eric