Old January 3rd 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Are we speaking of the same thing? In the 480 you tell it to hold, give
it the turn direction, leg length etc and it flys the hold. I've not
seen that in any other GPS product.

No, I think you are speaking of holds not in the database. Sounds like
the 480 does a nice job of that. I am speaking of charted approach
chart holds.

Did this change in the 430 with WAAS? From my teaching in the 430 and
G1000 when you cross the holding fix it just goes into suspend mode
(with a suggested entry procedure). The 480 actually figures the entry
procedure and flys it, you never touch the yoke. Does the 430 WAAS unit
fly the entry procedure?

-Robert

In the 400/500 series it goes into suspend and displays a message with
the recommended entry procedure. It does graphically show the entry
track. The 400/500 W series do (I have only used the trainer).

Only one lap around a HIL pattern is allowed then suspend drops out. On
a missed approach hold suspend does not drop out.